The University recognizes that circumstances may arise that require a student to cease class attendance prior to the end of the semester. Listed below are procedures and important information on official withdrawal that students must follow to ensure they can return to ISU (or transfer to another college).
"Official withdrawal" involves the student withdrawing from all classes for which he/she is registered as well as notifying appropriate administrative officials of his/her decision to leave the campus. If a student leaves without properly processing a withdrawal, the absences from class and from the campus will be justification for the grade of "F" to be assigned for the courses in which the student is enrolled.
The student is not officially withdrawn until he/she has completed the withdrawal procedures.
For undergraduate students, official withdrawal from enrollment must be initiated in the Office of Registration and Records, Parsons Hall, Room 009, or by calling (812) 237-2020. Students seeking to withdraw must complete a withdrawal authorization form. Questions concerning withdrawal from enrollment should be directed to the Office of Registration and Records.
- Refunds of fees. For information on refund of fees, refer to the registration instructions published on-line each semester and summer session.
- Residence hall contracts. Withdrawal from enrollment results in cancellation of the residence hall contract; however, students are responsible for contacting Residential Life if they are not planning to return to the University. Residence hall students should review the terms and conditions of their residence hall contract.
- Refunds and repayments of assistance. Students who withdraw (officially or unofficially) from all of their classes before a semester is completed may be required to repay some or all of their financial aid. For further information and assistance, visit the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Grade determination. Students who officially withdraw from the University by the last day to add (7th calendar day of a 16 week semester) will not have a grade or courses assigned to their transcript. After the last day to add and through the 11th week of classes, the grade of "W" will be given. Dates and deadlines for summer and shorter length classes vary based on the duration of the class. Please see the schedule of classes for specific information. "W" grades are not included in calculation of the grade point average.
- Withdrawal following priority scheduling. Students who participate in priority scheduling must initiate an official withdrawal in accordance with the procedures described above if they elect not to attend any classes during the session for which priority scheduling was accomplished. An official withdrawal must be completed for the semester for which the student has priority scheduled even if he/she has withdrawn from the previous semester. The refund of fees will follow the schedule of refunds contained in the registration instructions, published on-line each semester and summer session.
- Official withdrawal during a summer session. All procedures concerning withdrawal are carefully explained in the registration instructions, published on-line each semester and summer session. See these publications for details regarding grading, refund provisions, and calendar limits.
The Catalog of Indiana State University is the document of authority for all students. The requirements given in the Catalog supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time. The right to correct errors is also reserved.