The University recognizes honors achievements of graduating seniors at commencement and on diplomas and transcripts.
Honors are granted to baccalaureate candidates on the following basis: Summa Cum Laude–a grade point average of 3.90 or higher; Magna Cum Laude–grade point average of 3.70 through 3.89; and Cum Laude–grade point average of 3.50 through 3.69.
Guidelines for graduating with honors are as follows:
- Current application for graduation must be on file in the Office of Registration and Records
- Complete 55 hours of resident credit
- Earn at least a 3.50 cumulative grade point average at Indiana State University
- All academic courses (attempted) from all accredited institutions are converted to ISU's grading scale and incorporated in the honors grade point average
- In all considerations for honors, graduation deadlines are to be observed. Once the commencement announcement has been submitted for printing, there will be no additions made for honors to be announced at commencement
- All grades which are on a point basis are used in final honors designation. Grades such as "N", "IN", "WP", "DP", "S", and "U" are not included in honors calculation.
Honor candidates who will participate in commencement exercises will be determined by the honors cumulative indexes at the close of the preceding semester or term. The honors cumulative index includes all academic courses from all accredited institutions.
Students who qualify receive a letter prior to the close of the final term indicating the honor they will walk with as well as instructions on how to retrieve their stoles. Final honors will be awarded after the close of the term.
For further information, refer to graduation requirements.
The Catalog of Indiana State University is the document of authority for all students. The requirements given in the Catalog supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time. The right to correct errors is also reserved.